Mostly I wanted a place to record my opinions and fun things I've learned about: a sort of public journal. My views have changed radically on so many issues over the past 2 years that I'm still trying to piece the parts together. I also realized that my brain is beginning to revise the history of my transition to make myself look better. I don't want to delude myself into thinking I'm any smarter than I actually am, and I want to have a clear record of what I used to believe and why I changed.
I could keep a journal, but that doesn't allow me to reach out and interact with other perspectives and knowledge sets. I strongly believe that the surest way to keep your beliefs firmly rooted in reality is to air them out in front of people who may disagree. So, this blog was born.
What am I going to talk about?
Anything I want! It's my blog after all.
However, I do have a few areas of intense interest that will make up the bulk of my content.
- Tiny Robots. I'm an Electrical Engineer just starting out in the field of robotics. I find robotics fascinating and every day something newer and cooler is invented that I just need to share.
- Science: because it's Awesome!
- Skepticism. I identify myself as a skeptic, in the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, Carl Sagan, and Center For Inquiry sense. I stumbled across the skeptic's movement about 3 years ago and it has become a central part of who I am, what I believe, and consequently how I go about life.
- Politics. I was born to a strongly republican family in a very conservative community and over the past few years I've shifted further and further to the left. I consider myself a liberal leaning moderate at this point, but mostly when I talk about politics it will be when someone ticks me off by being idiotic.
- Christian Apologetics and Religion in General. I was an active youth apologist for about 8 years, and eventually that made me an atheist. 2+ years into my involvement in the skeptics movement, I had developed the mental toolset needed to honestly assess my own beliefs and slowly I transitioned into involvement in the atheism movement.
So that's the idea. Perhaps I'm just talking to myself (and for a while at least I'm guaranteed to be), but I'm tired of just being a consumer of intellectual content. It's time to jump over to the supply side and try to give back.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I will (hopefully-all experiments can fail).